Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring is here...Let The Home Improvement Projects Begin!!

Well I think spring is finally here in Dallas. The trees have all greened up. The tulips and azalea's are out in full bloom. Home Depot is crazy busy with people doing their yard improvement projects. Ahhh the fun times of spring! Actually I am so ready for it to be warm.

Terry I and I helped our friends this weekend with their spring yard project. They needed to redo a flagstone path that leads to their pool. They also decided to build a new flagstone patio as well. Of course Terry and I spent 3 months building a rock patio in Utah, so we didn't mind helping them build theirs. It only took a few hours of tilling to get rid of the grass (the crappy clay soil here in Dallas resisted the whole way). Then came the fun of digging out the soil, placing the rock in the desired pattern, leveling each rock on a dirt and gravel bed, and finally filling in the cracks with sand and gravel. 6 hours later, and 2 trips to Lowes....a new patio and path!! No major injuries, and all limbs are still attached. We were sore and tired and hot afterward. Todd and Bill were sweet enough to spring for Mexican Food that night, and we all had to take a dip in their hot tub to sooth the aching muscles. I think it turned out really nice for a bunch of amateur landscaping gay men!
Here is Todd and Terry and Ryan tilling and digging.

Me playing with a giant piece of flagstone

The finished patio

The finished path.

We also had a fun trip to the Dallas Arboretum spring blooms festival (thanks again to Jerry for the tickets!) It was gorgeous as usual, and really put you in the spring mood. So here is a few pictures, Happy Spring!!!
The flowering dogwoods were in full bloom



Here is a gorgeous display of Tulips















2 comments:

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

I guess this is the only way I'll get my tulip fix. I need to see flowers!! We finally got above 40 degrees today and everyone was in shorts and out trimming snow damaged trees. It does feel good!

Alyson said...

You're so funny! The patio looks awesome! I'm impressed. I still regret never seeing your home here before you moved. And thanks for posting those flowers. Tulips are my favorites too and I've just been waiting for mine to bloom! I'm so jealous it's spring there!