Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Big D

Here I am in Texas now, and here is some of my observations.

Dallas is called "Big D" by Texans. They are right when they say everything is big in Texas, and especially Dallas. It seems like if your going to do anything here you do it BIG. People like their homes big, their cars big, and trucks bigger, their hair big (well not West Jordan Utah big), and the ladies like their implants big here too. Lots of people say Dallas is the least "Texas" of the big cities in the state. Suprisingly it is a very cosmopolitan, sophisticated, and diverse city. With arts, entertainment, and nightlife that rivals any west or east coast big city. That said Dallas still has that brash, flashy, loud, and bigger than life Texas flair. Of course with 6.5 Million people living here the traffic is big and crazy too. You don't get anywhere very quickly and traffic is part of the daily fabric of life in Dallas. I've even encountered a traffic jam at 1:00am in the morning. Driving is not for the faint of heart here, and you better bring your "A" game when you get on the freeway. I have a lovely 23 mile 45 minute commute on 2 toll freeways and one interstate every morning. You would be suprised what you see in the middle of freeways here: big metal extension ladders, whole couches, exploding gas tanker trucks, and my favorite dodging tree and lawn clippings shooting from the back of a landscape truck doing 90 in front of you (especially when I was in my little covertible!!!). But I've also found big hearts, and big warm friendly people. It's funny but I understand what they say when they talk about "southern hospitality." A big smile and a loud "Howdy Y'all" always makes me feel welcome. Of course a big mess of Texas bar-b-que ribs, cornbread, and ice tea makes it even better. I think I'm gonna like this place alot!!!

2 comments:

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

well, well, I've converted you!! I love your description of Dallas. Especially the stuff in the freeway!! Southerners are hilarious! And the cooking makes up for everything. Got the pictures of your kitchen and I lOVE it!! Awesome tile work. I just couldn't figure out why you put a cabinet in the family room? Anyway, it looks like a great place to cook and entertain. I'm copying your lighting especially in the DR. I must have that fixture!!!

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

oh, this Julie btw